Thursday, December 11, 2008

U-M, Alabama, LSU do best to lure Campbell

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sam Webb: Recruiting

The long and winding recruiting road is fast approaching an end for Detroit Cass Tech lineman William Campbell. With three official visits now under his belt, the Army All American is just weeks away from announcing his final choice.

Outside of his frequent unofficial visits to Ann Arbor during the fall, Scout.com's No. 16 prospect stayed off the recruiting trail so he could focus on helping his high school team make a run at the state title. That dedication was reflected in his performance, as he notched an impressive 55 tackles from his defensive tackle spot, including 22 for loss and nine sacks.

However, Campbell and the Technicians saw their season come an end earlier than expected when they were knocked out of the playoffs in the second round by rival Southeastern. With his final prep campaign in the books, it was time for the coveted youngster to hit the road.

Accompanied by Cass Tech coach Thomas Wilcher and a few teammates, Campbell's first official visit was to Alabama on Nov. 15.

"Alabama was a lot of fun," Campbell told Scout.com. "I expected Tuscaloosa to be a little town, but it wasn't. It was fun, with a lot to do. The fans are amazing. They don't have any pro teams, so everyone there loves (Alabama)."

The next week Campbell flew solo to Baton Rouge, La. Despite being in attendance for one of LSU's five conference losses, he came away extremely impressed.

"They struggled a bit this year," said Campbell. "It may take a year or two to get back on top, but I'm sure they will.

"It was cool seeing (former Cass Tech and current LSU lineman) Joe (Barksdale) again, but he was busy preparing for a test so I got to hang out with a bunch of other guys, too. We spent a lot of time outside the campus and touring around the city, and that was fun. I liked getting off the campus and checking things out."

'Will, come to Michigan'

The third leg of Campbell's tour took place last weekend, when he made his way back to Michigan. He was accompanied on that trip not only by his coach, but also by his mother, father, and three current teammates, including Michigan commitments Teric Jones and Thomas Gordon.

"(The Michigan visit) was real fun," he said. "The (Michigan-Duke basketball) game hyped it up a lot. I ran out (on the floor to celebrate) with the crowd."

U-M fans at the game had a not-so-subtle message for the five-star prospect.

"They kept saying 'Will, come to Michigan'... 'Will, come to Michigan,'" he recalled. "They said if I come there, I've only got to stay in those dorms for four months and then I can get an apartment."

Campbell's parents were more interested in other aspects of the non-football side of Michigan, and like their son, they too said their expectations were met.

"I thought the visit went real good," said Campbell's father, William Sassie. "Educationally, I think Michigan stood out a lot. They really put education first.

"As far as the coaching staff went, they were 110 percent for trying to learn what me and his mother want for him as far as education goes. I really don't care what college he goes to. I just want my son to get a good education and graduate. I would love for my son to go to Michigan because it would be close to home, but that's his decision."

Campbell's mother has stressed the importance of academics throughout her son's athletic career. The visit gave her the opportunity to find out whether the Michigan coaches shared that sentiment.

"I grilled Coach (Tony) Dews and Coach Rodriguez," Ms. Campbell admitted. "Coach Dews was a major help because every question I had, he answered, and he answered them in detail. I put the same ones to Rodriguez because sometimes you've got to repeat what you mean. That way I know everybody is on the same page.

"I asked questions over and over and I didn't feel like I was inconveniencing them. I felt like that with a certain other school. I'm not mentioning any name, but I did. I felt like I was taking up (that school's time) and I don't want to feel like that."

Florida trips on tap

Suffice it to say, U-M's coaches put their best foot forward and now must wait to see if they've done enough to keep the state's No. 1 player home.

"Coach Rodriguez -- he's a good guy," Mr. Sassie said. "As far as what the media says about him -- I think he's a good guy. I think he's a good recruiter. I just feel like everybody should give this man a chance."

Added William: "I like Coach Rich Rodriguez. He's an intense coach and he shows his players a lot of love. I think he'll do great there."

Whether Campbell plans to "do great" with Rodriguez is still a few weeks away from being revealed. Next up for the player is an ACT re-take Saturday, followed by two possible visits to the Sunshine State.

"I'm going to Miami on the 19th and 20th," he said. "I might go to Florida this weekend. I'd go right after the test probably. I'd probably go by myself. I'll talk it about it with Coach Wilcher."

Campbell will announce his decision live on Jan. 3 on NBC during the Army All American game.

Sam Webb is managing editor of GoBlueWolverine magazine and GoBlueWolverine.com, and co-host of the "Michigan Insider" morning show weekdays on Sports Talk 1050 WTKA. His column appears every Thursday.